David L Meyers, MD, MBE,  FACEP
    2301 Ken Oak Road
    Baltimore Maryland 21209
    Business/Mobile/Text:  410-952-8782
    Former Chief, Emergency Medicine (ret) - Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
    Adjunct Faculty, KSAS - Johns Hopkins University 

• 2.  RE: An important commentary on addressing the EHR and its discontents

Posted 6 days ago
    Current EHR's are designed for billing, not patient care.  All else flows from this basic disconnect between what they should do and what they are designed to do.
    Ed
    Edward P Hoffer MD, FACP, FACC, FACMI

• 3.  RE: An important commentary on addressing the EHR and its discontents

Posted 6 days ago
    Edward,

I have heard this mentioned often.

If correct, how can SIDM be true to its Mission and Goals?

Rob Bell, M.D.

• 4.  RE: An important commentary on addressing the EHR and its discontents

Posted 6 days ago
    Rob:
    Since SIDM neither creates, sells nor endorses EMRs, I am not sure why you feel the basic failing of current EMRs is a failure of SID's mission.
    I do feel that SIDM can engage with clinical specialty societies to encourage that EMRs going forward be better designed to support clinical care ahead of organizational and financial priorities.  The lead organization for such efforts would logically be the American Academy of Medical Informatics.
    Ed
    Edward P Hoffer MD, FACP, FACC, FACMI

------------------------------
    Edward Hoffer
    Massachusetts General Hospital
    ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: An important commentary on addressing the EHR and its discontents

Posted 6 days ago
    Ed, 
    How refreshing to read  both your clear view and your  suggestion for action. Perhaps you have any update on MGH's pilot run which tapes the audio of the patient-physician encounter, sends the recording to a pool of chronically underpaid surgeons and internists in India to prepare a transcript  and send it back to MGH.
    Atul Gawande described this in a New Yorker article describing efforts to tweet the EHR to "unburden" physicians. 
    Ricardo Sanchez, M.D.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: An important commentary on addressing the EHR and its discontents

Posted 6 days ago
    Absolutely team. Some of the newer CMS billing guidelines might help undo the EMR "bloat" and hopefully the "cut and paste" culture.
    Maybe the "Big Two" can now concentrate on making the EMR  a tool for patient care. Any wagers on whether this will happen? 

• 7.  RE: An important commentary on addressing the EHR and its discontents

Posted 2 hours ago

I have to confess, I had a somewhat visceral response to this paper, and I wondered what the internists?

Gray BM, Vandergrift JL, McCoy RG, Lipner RS, Landon BE. Association between primary care physician diagnostic knowledge and death, hospitalisation and emergency department visits following an outpatient visit at risk for diagnostic error: a retrospective cohort study using medicare claims. BMJ Open. 2021 Apr 1;11(4):e041817. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-041817. PMID: 33795293.

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/11/4/e041817.long

Vinita. 

• 8.  RE: An important commentary on addressing the EHR and its discontents

Posted an hour ago
    Vinita:
    What was your visceral reaction? I had shared that paper to this listserv in a different thread and nobody reacted.
    Best,
    Helene