Discussion Board

Expand all | Collapse all

Im scared I have diabetes and I'm not being heard.

• 1.  Im scared I have diabetes and I'm not being heard.

Posted 02-25-2021 22:44
    Hello. 

My name is Jessica. I have all the symptoms of diabetes (frequent urination, dry mouth, pins and needles in my hands and feet, dizzy spells when going without food, excessive thirst, etc.) and im afraid my doctor isn't hearing me. My glucose number is 129, and the CDC and American Diabetes Association say diabetes starts at 126. Im scared that im being misdiagnosed and untreated by my doctor and that my symptoms will just worsen. Ive already raised my concerns to her and she doesn't seem to be concerned for my health. Ive been going to her for 2 years now, and I like her. But im worried im diabetic. What should I do? How do I bring up my findings and symptoms to her without being rude?

------------------------------
    Jessica Knesal

• 2.  RE: Im scared I have diabetes and I'm not being heard.

Posted 18 days ago
    Jessica, 

I am not a physician or a medical professional.  I will say there are several stigma's when it comes to diabetes and it is quite frustrating. However, it sounds like you are trying to advocate for yourself. One way to empower yourself and your health journey is keeping good records and a log about your sugar. Invest in a good meter and write down your numbers (i.e. when you wake up, after meal times). Sometimes that is a doctors language...show her the facts. I know it seems like you are both speaking different languages, which as a patient is not very fair. If she is unwilling to listen to your concerns. I would seek out another physician that is more equipped to understand, communicate, and help you with potentially getting you diagnosed and getting down to the bottom of the issue. Best of luck to you and your journey!

Sarah Mayfield

• 3.  RE: Im scared I have diabetes and I'm not being heard.

Posted 18 days ago

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling heard. It's hard to make a diagnosis of diabetes mellitus with a single lab value and there are two types. A couple of things to ask your provider would be:

1. Has a Hemoglobin A1C been obtained, what was the value and can you help me interpret it?
    2. If my symptoms are not caused by diabetes mellitus, what other things could be causing them and how can we partner to help me sort that out?

If you are not satisfied with your provider's answers, it is reasonable to request your records/lab values and seek a second opinion.

signature_1232185625

Joe Grubenhoff, MD, MSCS (he/him/his) | Associate Professor of Pediatrics 

Section of Emergency Medicine | University of Colorado

Medical Director – Diagnostic Safety Program

Children's Hospital Colorado

13123 East 16th Avenue, Box 251  |  Anschutz Medical Campus  |  Aurora, CO 80045 | Phone: (303) 724-2581 | Fax: (720) 777-7317

joe.grubenhoff@childrenscolorado.org

Connect with Children's Hospital Colorado on Facebook and Twitter

signature_829143088

For a child's sake...

We are a caring community called to honor the sacred trust of our patients, families and each other through

humble expertise, generous service and boundless creativity.

...This is the moment.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of Childrens Hospital Colorado and the intended recipient(s). It may contain confidential and privileged information or may otherwise be protected by law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachment thereto.

• 4.  RE: Im scared I have diabetes and I'm not being heard.

Posted 17 days ago
    Great answer Joe!

--
    Edward B, J. Winslow, MD, MBA
    Home 847 256-2475; Mobile 847 508-1442
    edbjwinslow@gmail.com

"...the more you know about the past, the better you are prepared for the future."

Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of United States of America