Discussion Board

Expand all | Collapse all

Help with a research study

• 1.  Help with a research study

Posted 06-08-2020 15:22
    SIDM Friends - please see request below from a learner interested in novel solutions to improving diagnosis.

Dear colleague,

We present a research study that asks:

What are your experiences with diagnostic delay?

What have you found to be important clinical barriers to reaching a diagnosis?

How might a medical learner help you address those barriers?

If you are a physician with at least one experience of diagnostic delay (>6 months in the outpatient setting or >2 weeks in the inpatient setting), we would deeply appreciate it if you took five minutes to share your insight in this quick survey: 

https://forms.gle/Uq6vDvoU5LZ3jPSL6

Your responses may help us find ways of reducing diagnostic delays, improving patient experience, finding physicians more resources, and enriching medical learner education.

Thank you for your consideration and time.

Sincerely,

Michael DeDominicis (& research team)

PGY1 in Neurology

McMaster University

Hamilton, Canada

--
    Andrew P.J. Olson, MD
    Associate Professor of Medicine & Pediatrics
    Interim Director of Hospital Medicine, UMMC
    Director of Medical Education Research and Innovation
    Medical Education Outcomes Center
    Director, Becoming a Doctor Course
    University of Minnesota Medical School
    (o) 612-625-2290
    (p) 612-899-2999

• 2.  RE: Help with a research study

Posted 06-08-2020 15:54
    Have you considered a parallel study asking patients the same things?  

Daily I read of such problems in the patient forums I monitor.

Peggy Zuckerman
    www.peggyRCC.com

• 3.  RE: Help with a research study

Posted 06-08-2020 16:30

Agreed.  And you should target patients with new tumor diagnoses to see what kind of delay occurs regarding follow up staging and initiation of treatment.  This is another ancillary area of 'diagnostic' delay that adversely affects patients with serious consequences.

Mark Gusack, M.D.

President

MANX Enterprises, Ltd.

304 521-1980

www.manxenterprises.com

• 4.  RE: Help with a research study

Posted 06-08-2020 17:27
    In my kidney cancer world, the diagnosis stat I think of is the 'normal' number of new diagnoses daily is 250.  That means we likely have 3,000 new cases which should have been diagnosed in this last three months.  With about 1/3 of them metastatic at the time of diagnosis, this is a huge challenge to be met quickly and without further delay.

Peggy Zuckerman
    www.peggyRCC.com

• 5.  RE: Help with a research study

Posted 06-08-2020 17:22
    Hello
    I am currently involved in a study of delayed care and subsequently delayed diagnoses due to the COVID pandemic. 
    This is area of research that represents a different reason for delayed diagnosis. 
    I will let you know what we find. 

Ted E. Palen, PhD, MD
    Colorado Permanente Medical Group

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Help with a research study

Posted 06-08-2020 17:29

Hi Ted, 

This is wonderful - an important topic to study.  I will be very interested in this topic and what you find.  At my institution, we have been slow to implement widespread messaging to patients and the public to reassure them of the safety of coming in for their diagnosis/treatment.  As a result, we've seen some awful cases where patients, seemingly unable to weigh the relative risks, allowed their health conditions to deteriorate terribly before they presented (out of fear of the virus), resulting in loss of life, limb and vital organs.

All the best,

Mike

Michael A. Bruno, M.D., M.S., F.A.C.R.  
    Professor of Radiology & Medicine

Vice Chair for Quality & Patient Safety

Chief, Division of Emergency Radiology

Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
    ( (717) 531-8703  |  6 (717) 531-5737

* mbruno@pennstatehealth.psu.edu  

Hello
    I am currently involved in a study of delayed care and subsequently delayed diagnoses due to the COVID pandemic. 
    This is area of research that represents a different reason for delayed diagnosis. 

Ted E. Palen, PhD, MD

• 7.  RE: Help with a research study

Posted 06-09-2020 01:10
    The value of the medicine in its entirety will be highlighted. 

Rob Bell

Sent from my iPad

• 8.  RE: Help with a research study

Posted 06-08-2020 17:25
    Hello

Ted E. Palen, PhD, MD

Sent from my iPhone
    NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them. Thank you.

• 9.  RE: Help with a research study

Posted 06-09-2020 15:30
    Ted, along the lines you are working...The recently-posted article from The Atlantic is a reminder about how protean, long-lasting and elusive this disease can be. A group of us interested in medically unexplained symptoms (MUS) are concerned that patients with COVID-19, whether formally diagnosed or not, may present with symptoms and signs not thought to be due to COVID and attributed to other conditions, including psychosomatic ones. Our particular concern is that, like other syndromes with vague or multi-system manifestations - myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), various collagen vascular diseases, endometriosis, Lyme disease, etc, etc where know delay in diagnosis is common - the search for somatic causes might not readily include associations with COVID-19, and premature or inappropriate referral to mental health experts would take place.

In the COVID-19 era, we wondered if anyone or institution has set up dedicated, multi-disciplinary COVID-19 follow-up clinics to monitor diagnose and treat patients over the long term. The benefits to patient management, research and education seem obvious. Further thoughts?

David

David L Meyers, MD, FACEP
    Mobile: 410-952-8782