Discussion Board

Expand all | Collapse all

Bayesian method of diagnosis

• 1.  Bayesian method of diagnosis

Posted 02-10-2021 10:56
      |   view attached
    In the attached paper, I analyze the Bayesian method of diagnosis and point out that even though it has been prescribed, it does not appear to be employed for diagnosis in practice.
    This discrepancy arises, I argue, from a profound difference between the reason for prescription of this method and the goal of diagnosis in practice.
    This method is not employed, I suggest, because the goal in practice of accurate determination of a disease in different patients with varying prior probabilities is not met by it.
    The method employed for diagnosis in practice, I propose, is the frequentist confidence method which is the other (other than the Bayesian) major method of statistical inference.
    Please review and comment on this paper. Thanks.

Bimal

Bimal Jain MD
    Northshore Medical Center
    Salem MA 01970.
    The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at http://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.

• 2.  RE: Bayesian method of diagnosis

Posted 02-13-2021 10:41
    Dr. Jain,
    I am reviewing your paper and should be able to provide a response next week.
    Neal Dawson

• 3.  RE: Bayesian method of diagnosis

Posted 02-13-2021 11:34
    Thanks.

Bimal

• 4.  RE: Bayesian method of diagnosis

Posted 03-12-2021 12:17
      |   view attached
    In the attached paper I compare the Bayesian and the confidence methods to bring out clearly the weaknesses of the former and the strengths of the latter to show why the latter is employed for diagnosis in practice. Please review and comment on this paper.

Bimal