Discussion Board

Important new study on the impact of diagnostic knowledge

• 1.  Important new study on the impact of diagnostic knowledge

Posted 04-01-2021 11:08
      |   view attached
    I wanted to share this study because I believe it's essential proof of the value of diagnostic skills training in medical school and residency. While it seems self-evident that the more diagnostic knowledge a physician has the better the patient outcome, there is no method yet for looking under the hood of a physician's training, experience, knowledge, and outcome. I wish individual results like this could be made public (which I realize won't fly) however I hope there is at least a feedback loop to the physicians who scored poorly. Perhaps they'll go for more CME time.  All a patient has currently are recommendations from friends and family and scores on public websites about a specific physician or medical practice. Those are often useless because so many of them are about staff interactions or waiting room time.

Any ideas on how to provide diagnostic knowledge/outcome scores for individual clinicians? I think the barriers are obvious but is there a path?

Association between primary care physician diagnostic knowledge and death, hospitalisation and emergency department visits following an outpatient visit at risk for diagnostic error: a retrospective cohort study using medicare claims
    https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/11/4/e041817.full.pdf

Best,
    Helene 

Attachment(s)

pdf
    e041817.full.pdf   369 KB 1 version