Discussion Board

Expand all | Collapse all

COVID-related diagnostic errors

• 1.  COVID-related diagnostic errors

Posted 04-23-2020 16:37

Thanks to Linden Brown for this important early report of "COVID Blindness"- assuming every febrile patient has the disease.

What diagnostic errors are YOU  seeing in the current COVID-19 crush?   

https://www.degruyter.com/view/journals/dx/ahead-of-print/article-10.1515-dx-2020-0042/article-10.1515-dx-2020-0042.xml 

Mark L Graber MD FACP

Chief Medical Officer; Founder and President Emeritus, SIDM

Professor Emeritus, Stony Brook University, NY

607 305-0050

A close up of a sign  Description automatically generated

• 2.  RE: COVID-related diagnostic errors

Posted 04-23-2020 17:25
    Important question to answer first:
    Overcall?
    Uncercall?
    Place your answer on paper before reading.
    This is a very basic concept that is missed by those who do not see unsorted patients.
    My cardiology colleagues don't know "weak and dizzy" is the presentation of an MI in an 80-year-old.
    My neurology friends don't know "weak and dizzy" is the presentation of a CVA in an 80-year-old.
    My urology friends don't know "weak and dizzy" is the presentation of a UTI in an 80-year-old. 
    My colorectal surgery friends don't know "weak and dizzy" is the presentation of a diverticular abscess in an 80-year-old.

Get the idea?
    You can't diagnose what you don't think of.

tom benzoni

(Someday, I'll use tech to verbatim transcribe an actual patient history. I think non-frontline clinicians would be interested.)

• 3.  RE: COVID-related diagnostic errors

Posted 04-27-2020 13:38

From Jason Maude, Co-Founder of Isabel Healthcare

Very timely article and I am sure everyone is hearing of cases like this. It's just the sort of occasion when a DDx Generator can help provide some objectivity. I have attached some screen shots of what the Isabel symptom checker and triage tool would have shown at various stages in the presentation.

Regards

Jason

Jason Maude

Founder and CEO Isabel Healthcare
    Tel: +44 1428 644886
    Tel: +1 703 879 1890
    A picture containing drawing  Description automatically generated

• 4.  RE: COVID-related diagnostic errors

Posted 04-27-2020 15:11
    Jason,

Do you know what are the TOP 5, 10, 20, 30 Errors in Diagnostic Medicine anywhere in the country?