Discussion Board

Bias in clinical encounters/chronic illness/mental health

• 1.  Bias in clinical encounters/chronic illness/mental health

Posted 12-09-2020 16:11
    Hi all,

I recently came across the work of someone I thought would be of particular interest to this group. Dr. Cathryn Molloy studies the issue of patient credibility by way of writing and rhetoric (she is an English professor working in the field of Rhetoric of Health and Medicine (RHM)). Her forthcoming book  explores how bias in clinical settings can mask treatable medical problems in specific cases when symptoms are labelled as being "in the patients' head," for which she interviewed 60 people with chronic illness to learn specifically about their experience with diagnosis (the work has a good dialogue with that of Maya Dusenbury, DEM speaker a couple years ago).

Here's a presentation on the book that also gets into the resilience of patients and the different maneuvers that patients use to get doctors to believe their reported symptoms.

Even with my humanities/medical humanities background I had no idea about the field of Rhetoric of Health and Medicine. Really glad to have come across this work and thought others here would be interested too.

Best to you all,

Alexa

-----------------------

Alexa Miller, M.A.