Discussion Board

Expand all | Collapse all

Diagnostic Error Questions

• 1.  Diagnostic Error Questions

Posted 05-21-2020 14:00
    Mark Graber and associates initiative with the Institute of Medicine's report some years ago.

David Newman-Toker and associates recent article published in Diagnosis, detailing the rate of diagnostic errors for "Big Three" disease conditions and causing serious misdiagnosis-related harms.

Gordon Schiff's recent John M. Eisenberg Award.

Peggy Zuckerman's frequent postings that we need to constantly consider patients when errors are made.

So let me pose a few questions. I would welcome comment and further questions.

Questions

Assuming that one question can lead to another and then another, would more questions asked at all levels in medicine be valuable to patients?

Could such questions also be valuable to SIDM?

Is the one thing that holds us from making significant progress with errors in medicine, lack of accurate error data?

If this is true could negotiations with States as opposed to the Federal Government eventually lead to change?

Could a survey with international medical organizations asking for their top recommendations that they have found improve/enhance the diagnostic process?

With all the changes taking pace and yet to come with the Corona virus pandemic is this the time to consider new things and forge new relationships with national and international organizations?

Are the personal biases in diagnostic medicine likely to be eliminated with the first Artificial Intelligence (AI) programs dedicated to diagnoses?

In caring for patients are economical, loyalty, and political issues among the most important biases we collectively have?

Would patients benefit if more retired persons, women, academics, patients themselves, were invited to participate in the running and organization of specialty medical societies?

Would publishing SIDM position papers from time to time benefit patients?

Robert M. Bell, M.D.

• 2.  RE: Diagnostic Error Questions

Posted 05-21-2020 15:51
    Somehow the first part of this post (introduction and appreciations) did not make it to the list.

Here is the whole post again with the first portion.

RB

Mark Graber and associates initiative with the Institute of Medicine's report some years ago.

David Newman-Toker and associates recent article published in Diagnosis, detailing the rate of diagnostic errors for "Big Three" disease conditions and causing serious misdiagnosis-related harms.

Gordon Schiff's recent John M. Eisenberg Award.

Peggy Zuckerman's frequent postings that we need to constantly consider patients when errors are made.

So let me pose a few questions. I would welcome comment and further questions.

Questions

Assuming that one question can lead to another and then another, would more questions asked at all levels in medicine be valuable to patients?

Could such questions also be valuable to SIDM?

Is the one thing that holds us from making significant progress with errors in medicine, lack of accurate error data?

If this is true could negotiations with States as opposed to the Federal Government eventually lead to change?

Could a survey with international medical organizations asking for their top recommendations that they have found improve/enhance the diagnostic process?

With all the changes taking pace and yet to come with the Corona virus pandemic is this the time to consider new things and forge new relationships with national and international organizations?

Are the personal biases in diagnostic medicine likely to be eliminated with the first Artificial Intelligence (AI) programs dedicated to diagnoses?

In caring for patients are economical, loyalty, and political issues among the most important biases we collectively have?

Would patients benefit if more retired persons, women, academics, patients themselves, were invited to participate in the running and organization of specialty medical societies?

Would publishing SIDM position papers from time to time benefit patients?

Robert M. Bell, M.D.

• 3.  RE: Diagnostic Error Questions

Posted 05-21-2020 17:03
    Edited by Amanda Staller 05-21-2020 17:03
    Dear Robert Bell,

Thank you for formulating this thoughtful list of questions.

For what it’s worth, as a patient who has been undiagnosed / misdiagnosed as have my family members and several friends, I would answer “yes,” and "emphatically yes” to all questions.

With Kind regards,

Sherrill (Sherry Franklin)

• 4.  RE: Diagnostic Error Questions

Posted 05-21-2020 18:05
    This is a real time request, sent out the group to help solve:

A late middle aged lady just came in to the ER with C/O:

Abdominal bloating X 4 years.
    Low back pain down the back of both legs for 2 years.

Hx of DM, IBS, HPTN, Lipid disorder

VS normal except BMI = 58.5

Exam non-focal; no peritoneal signs, no back "red flags"

You have 15 minutes to decide (really; 15 minutes).

All responses not received by 1715 CDT will be regarded as misdiagnoses.

tom benzoni

Go.

• 5.  RE: Diagnostic Error Questions

Posted 05-21-2020 18:18
    Time's up.

I have to make the decisions on my own.

Better luck next time.

tom

(Let's think about making a brain trust; let this group try to help in real time.)