Discussion Board

Expand all | Collapse all

Fwd: Thinking ahead to the next wave - Danielle Ofri reflects

• 1.  Fwd: Thinking ahead to the next wave - Danielle Ofri reflects

Posted 05-29-2020 21:20
    Some sober reflections on what went wrong in our rush to deal with COVID-19 at the bedside...

David
    David L Meyers, MD FACEP

NYTimes Op-Ed

It was not an easy decision to publish an article about medical error during the Covid pandemic. I recognize that for many of us, it is very painful to reflect on this. 

There's no doubt that what went right in the medical system was far greater than what went wrong. What was accomplished was nothing short of miraculous and reflects intense work from so many people. 

But  part of the professional commitment that has been so justly lauded entails an honest reckoning of where things might have fallen short and how we might improve things for the next time. Even for things that were the inevitable outcome of the circumstances.

I understand the sensitive feelings and the concerns that maybe it's too soon to have this conversation.bHowever, I strongly believe that we need to do so before our memories fade and before the efforts to reopen the medical system swamp our focus. I welcome your thoughts.

Read the full op-ed

Sleepless in Seattle 

It would be so nice to actually be in Seattle with the majestic trees on the UW campus. But second-best is an online event hosted by the wonderful folks at the University of Washington Bookstore, hosted by KUOW's Ross Reynolds.

-6 pm for folks on the West Coast, 
    -9 pm for folks on NYC time. 
    (everyone else has to do their own math :-)

If you'd like to support the bookstore, you can purchase a book on their website. Hope you can join us!

Thank you!

Thank you for taking time to read this. If your error rate on emails is too high these days, just click here to Unsubscribe.

DanielleOfri.com

(details will on the Events Page)

MedGrad2020
    Virtual Commencement
    June 1 at 12 noon ET

U of Washington Bookstore
    June 5 at 9 pm ET

Storytelling in the Age of Covid19
    ACP webinar
    (med students & residents)
    June 10 at 8 pm ET

Penn Book Center
    (TBD)

Cooperstown, NY
    Bassett Medical Center
    (TBD)

Brooklyn, NY
    Medical Grand Rounds
    Winthrop Hospital
    postponed
    Princeton, NJ
    American College of Physicians
    postponed

New York, NY
    Memorial Sloan Kettering
    Medical Grand Rounds
    postponed

New York, NY
    Bo's Restaurant
    postponed

New Haven, CT
    Yale Grand Rounds
    postponed

New York, NY
    Silvana
    postponed

New York, NY
    BloomInPlace
    postponed

Rye Brook, NY
    American College of Physicians
    Oct 9

Panama City, Panama
    ISHRS Conference
    Oct 24

Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Instagram

Danielle Ofri  149 East 23rd St, #1516   NY, NY  10010

Sent by
    SendinBlue

• 2.  RE: Fwd: Thinking ahead to the next wave - Danielle Ofri reflects

Posted 05-29-2020 21:22
    Not a diagnostic error, but an error by an over-stressed, under-supervised young physician forced into working beyond their training.
    Edward Hoffer MD, FACP, FACC

• 3.  RE: Fwd: Thinking ahead to the next wave - Danielle Ofri reflects

Posted 05-30-2020 14:05
    Ofri details delayed diagnosis as well. In fact, I believe that the mortality stats, that show far more people died than was expected or can be attributed directly to COVID, are due to delayed Dx of other deadly disorders: cardiac, pulmonary, infections, aggressive cancer, etc. People were afraid to call 911 or go to an ED. In NYC, we were told not to call for an ambulance, even if we had COVID-19, unless we were afraid we were dying. All of our doctors office is closed for weeks before they figured out how to do telehealth. So many people in my community went to the emergency room only to be turned away because the triage team didn't recognize that their symptoms were Covid, cardiac, or infection of another kind. I lost someone whose autopsy hasn't returned yet. Found dead sitting at her desk prepping for the big zoom presentation she was about to lead. It's not just junior docs making errors. It's delay due to overwhelmed HCO's and frightened patients. 
    Best
    Helene

Website 
       Twitter