Discussion Board

Expand all | Collapse all

Transitions

• 1.  Transitions

Posted 01-14-2021 07:23

Greetings colleagues.  I hope you enjoyed a safe and meaningful holiday, despite the challenging circumstances of this past year.  Today I wanted to share the following news that is being posted on the SIDM website:

A Message to the  SIDM Community from CEO Paul Epner –

As SIDM reflects upon 2020 and our many accomplishments (becoming a grant maker with the seed grant program, pivoting to a successful virtual conference, growing our Coalition to Improve Diagnosis and more), I have also reflected on SIDM's long term needs.

With that in mind, last week I told the SIDM Board and staff that I would like to transition from CEO to a different role within SIDM. It's something I've been thinking about for a long time, and it gives me the chance to focus my energies on the areas where I provide the most value to SIDM, while also ensuring deliberate succession planning is taking place. I have served SIDM for 10 years since I was part of its founding in 2011, and have led the staff since staff members were first hired four years ago. My commitment to the mission and the organization is unwavering and I don't plan to retire or leave. SIDM has a vibrant, professional staff working on significant, impactful projects, and I will continue as CEO until a new leader is found and then will work to ensure a smooth transition. After that, I will work on SIDM's behalf in a new capacity for as long as I am needed.

This means the SIDM Board will begin a formal search for a new CEO. A Search Committee of the Board of Directors is now forming. Please reach out to me or SIDM President Bob Trowbridge (President@ImproveDiagnosis.org) with questions or insights about the search. 

Thank you all for your continued commitment to the vision and mission of SIDM and for the support you have provide to me over the year.

I hope to be working with and contributing to SIDM for quite some time, so please feel free to reach out with opportunities to further improve patient outcomes through improved diagnosis.

Be well.  Stay safe.

Paul

Paul L. Epner MBA, MEd

Chief Executive Officer & Co-Founder

Chair, Coalition to Improve Diagnosis
    Paul.Epner@ImproveDiagnosis.org

847.508.2810 (CST)

Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine | Twitter | Facebook

SIDM

• 2.  RE: Transitions

Posted 01-14-2021 12:50
    Good luck.

Fully understanding the loyalty biases that hinder so much in hospital and clinical practice will help you, I think.

• 3.  RE: Transitions

Posted 01-14-2021 17:37

I think I can speak for the SIDM community as a whole in thanking Paul for his incredible service to both SIDM itself and to the cause of preventing harm from diagnostic error. He has achieved so much in helping to lead the organization in becoming the dynamic, impactful, and leading force that it is today.  We will be sure to provide the opportunity in the future to thank Paul more formally for his remarkable contributions.  It will not be easy to replace Paul as the CEO of SIDM, but we also know this community has many people who could fill his admittedly large shoes with great success. 

Robert Trowbridge, MD

President

Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine

------------------------------
    Robert Trowbridge
    Maine Medical Center
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Transitions

Posted 01-14-2021 17:47
    Thanks Paul for all your energy, enthusiasm, and leadership as CEO- we look forward to continued collaboration with you and SIDM in the future.
    Art Nahill and Nic Szecket, IMreasoning podcast

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Transitions

Posted 01-19-2021 18:15

Dear Paul,

On behalf of the ANZA-SIDM part of the SIDM community, we would like to sincerely thank you for your leadership in the field of diagnostic error and safety over many years.

We have greatly appreciated  your passion and expertise in advancing the field.

Furthermore,  we are indebted to you for your encouragement in establishing our affiliate of SIDM, as well as your incredible support and guidance for our biannual conference in Australia and New Zealand.

We are deeply honoured to be part of the SIDM community and look forward to ongoing fruitful collaborations with you, as our community Down Under grows.

Kind regards,

A. Prof Carmel Crock on behalf of ANZA-SIDM community