Discussion Board

Fwd: [The Washington Post] Not ‘just depression.’ She seemed trapped in a downward mental health spiral. The real cause was a profound shock.

• 1.  Fwd: [The Washington Post] Not ‘just depression.’ She seemed trapped in a downward mental health spiral. The real cause was a profound shock.

Posted 01-24-2021 21:43
    Another case of diagnostic overshadowing to chew on:

Not 'just depression.' She seemed trapped in a downward mental health spiral. The real cause was a profound shock. (Cameron Cottrill for The Washington Post)

A brain scan prompted a wholesale reevaluation of this woman's medical history dating back years.
    By Sandra G. Boodman

This is a fascinating story of a woman with a ~20 year history of depression described in the Washington Post's Medical Mysteries column this week. Her condition waxed and waned for years with multiple changes in medications and dosages as she slowly deteriorated. The patient's husband is quoted as wondering "why the doctors she saw seemed to reflexively attribute her symptoms to a psychological problem.
"I definitely feel it could have been caught earlier," he said. "I would think if somebody's dealing with depression, why wouldn't you look further when they don't respond?"

The same question we are all asking. 

Worth a read. (Warning, there may be a paywall. If so, go through your local public or university library.)

Sent from my iPhone

David
    David L Meyers, MD, MBE, FACEP